Michigan Horse Council

Promoting and Protecting the Horse Industry Since 1973 

Michigan Horse Council

Promoting and Protecting Michigan's Horse Industry Since 1973

Equisure Insurance

Frequently Asked Questions about the Personal Excess Liability Insurance administered by Equisure, Inc. for Association Resource Group (ARG) and their affiliates.

Please Note: This insurance is excess and not intended to be your primary equestrian liability coverage!

  1. When does my personal excess insurance with Equisure start and end? The coverage starts when your membership is approved and the premium is paid to Equisure. Coverage ends 12:01a on December 31stof every calendar year. 
  2. If my membership starts in June, when will my insurance coverage start? Your insurance will also start the month you purchase your membership. For e.g., you will have coverage for approximately 7 months if you joined in June and coverage for 12 months if you joined in January.  In both cases the coverage will end 12:01a on December 31st.
  3. How can I get a copy of the Master Policy? You should contact Equisure directly with proof of your membership and request a copy of the Master Policy or email your request to jennifero@equisure-inc.com. The Master Policy may not be posted on any websites or reproduced without prior written consent from the management of Equisure.
  4. Do my members get anything showing proof of coverage? Yes. Association Resource Group will have Evidences of Insurance (a brief summary of coverages, conditions and exclusions) that may be distributed to members only. Like the Master Policy, the Evidences of Insurance may not to be posted on websites or reproduced in any fashion without written consent from Equisure.
  5. How would this insurance apply if I have homeowners insurance? This policy is excess over any other valid and collectible underlying insurance. If you have underlying insurance, such as homeowners insurance, this policy is excess over that insurance. If you have no other underlying insurance this policy would become primary.
  6. I am a trainer and run a horse breeding operation, does this insurance cover me? No. Insurance coverage for businesses and business related activities are excluded. Please contact Equisure for more information or to purchase Professional and General Liability insurance for your equine training activities and/or equine business operation.
  7. If my horse is boarded away from my residence, do I have coverage? Yes. You are covered for equine related incidences away from your residence for which you are personally liable or negligent. • If I lend my horse to someone to ride, am I covered?Yes. You are covered for bodily injury and/or property damage for an equine related incident you are held legally liable for.
  8. Is my horse covered if it dies? No. This policy does not provide animal mortality coverage for horses you own. Horse Mortality Insurance can be purchased by calling Equisure (800-752-2472) or visit www.equisure-inc.com.
  9. My spouse doesn’t have anything to do with my horses. Is my spouse covered? It depends on the membership you have purchased. The individual membership includes the member and permanent residents of the household under the age of 18. The family membership includes the member and spouse plus permanent members of the household under the age of 18.
  10. I fell off my horse and broke my arm, what kind of coverage do I have for this? No, not under the Personal Excess Policy. This is not a medical insurance policy.  You would have to have your own health/medical insurance.
  11. What limits are provided by this policy? The coverage limit provided under this policy is a per household limit and is shared by all member of the same residence. $1,000,000 aggregate limit   ~   $1,000,000 per occurrence limit.
  12. Can I increase the limits provided by this policy? No.
  13. Can I add an additional insured to this policy? This policy provides personal excess liability insurance for you. It does not allow for the addition of additional insureds. If your barn has questions about the insurance provided, please fax or phone Equisure.
  14. What should I do if I think I have a claim?
  • Write down all the details about the incident while they are fresh in your mind.
  • Get the names and phone numbers for any witness(es).
  • Do not admit fault or make any monetary payment.
  • Contact Equisure at 800-752-2472. 

For any additional questions please contact Equisure, Inc. 
Phone 800-752-2472 or Fax 303-614-6967
Email: jennifero@equisure-inc.com
Visit the web at www.equisure-inc.com

Join the MHC 

Thank you for your interest to become a member of the Michigan Horse Council. If you haven't had the chance to check out the benefits of becoming a member, please do that now. Once you have decided which membership you would like to apply for, simply click on it below and fill out the application, make a check payable to Michigan Horse Council and then mail them both in. 

Family Membership Form

Business Membership Form

Individual Membership Form 

Organization Membership Form